Book review: Lessons from Madame Chic ~ birdie to be2

Thursday, August 8, 2013

I never used to be the reading type. In school, I despised reading. Mostly because I would fall asleep halfway through a sentence and end up reading that sentence 10 times before moving on.

But lately, I'm constantly on the look out for a new read. I love a good memoir, a summer chic 'flick,' and a book I finish that truly changes me.
Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I learned While Living in Paris did just that.

This book touches on so many aspects of life, from style to food to culture. It made me think about my own life and want to live a more fulfilling, respectable life.

• One of the things we've made more a habit to do over here already is eating without the presence of tv, phones, etc. A little background music and some good old fashion conversation is worth being disconnected for 30+ minutes.

• My closet and shopping habits have also taken a turn for the better. I love shopping as much as the next blogger girl, but what the book talks about is quality over quantity. She goes into more detail about "never having anything to wear"- which is something I often say as I stare into my overflowing closet. Overall, she recommends a minimal wardrobe with quality, stylish pieces that can be mixed + matched throughout the week.
 
unknown source

• And the last piece I want to touch on is making everyday a special occasion. I have always been a 'saver,' meaning I always want to save my best outfits, our wedding china and new purchases for a special occasions and special guests. But something I hadn't thought about is that my husband and those I see most often are the most special. I am slowly transitioning into this one (as I hesitantly remove new tags from gifts I received months ago)! Eek!

The author also has a blog called The Daily Connoisseur, consisting of videos and excerpts from her fabulous book.

Do you have any good book recommendations to share??

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things creative and design oriented. I am inspired by fashion, photography and typography. And especially have a soft spot for weddings, pink palettes and sparkle.
Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © birdie to be2 | Powered by Blogger
Premade Blogger Template by Berry Vary